Easy Amazing Potato Salad
No summer BBQ is complete without a heaping mound of delicious potato salad sitting next to whatever Uncle Jack has been endlessly fiddling with on the grill for the past two hours. This recipe combines great fresh flavors, good balance, and fantastic texture, all while avoiding the heaviness that many potato salads suffer from. This is a great dish to take to a BBQ or potluck since it can be made ahead of serving time. Don’t pass up on putting this recipe together for your next BBQ, get-together, or just a weeknight dinner.
Servings: 6 – 8
- 3 lbs. of peeled russet potatoes, cut into 1.5 inch chunks.
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 green onions
- minced white and light green portion
- chopped dark green onion
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped. Check out our Boiled Egg Experiment.
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- A few dashes of smoked paprika
Bowl 1 – raw potatoes
Bowl 2 – eggs, potatoes (once they’re cooked). make sure the bowl is large enough to mix everything
Bowl 3 – sour cream, mayo, minced green onions, salt, oregano, pepper, parsley, garlic powder, red onion
Bowl 4 – chopped green onions
- Fill a 6 qt. stockpot with about 4 qts. of water to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once the pot is at a rolling boil dump bowl 1 (raw potatoes) in…carefully.
- After adding the potatoes the boil will slow down, but should return after about 5 minutes.
- Once the boil returns, boil for an additional 9 minutes (14 minutes in the pot all together), then pour into a colander.
- Allow the potatoes to cool in the strainer, gently moving them around to dissipate the heat every few minutes.
- Once the potatoes are fairly well cooled, add them to the eggs in bowl 2.
- Combine all of the bowl 3 ingredients and mix them together. Keeping the eggs and potatoes separate in this step keeps them from being broken down further.
- Add bowl three into bowl two and gently mix together.
- If you’re serving the potato salad in a different bowl, transfer it now.
- Top the potato salad with a couple of dashes of smoked paprika, then sprinkle with the chopped green onions.
This potato salad will leave your fellow BBQ guests craving seconds. The flavors and textures in this dish combine to make a simple potato salad that is something truly fantastic.